boy saves family from fire
Nathan and Kayla Dahl's home after the fire

Two-year-old Brandon Dahl walked into his parent’s bedroom and woke up the sleeping parents to warn them about something going on around the house, according to Kayla Dahl.

Dahl told “Good Morning America”, “He tapped me on my feet in bed and was coughing and saying, ‘Mama, hot. Mama, hot, I turned around. I looked and all I saw was flames in the doorway.”

Since she and her husband was recovering from Covid-19, they had lost their sense of smell, so they couldn’t smell the smoke. Because they couldn’t smell the smoke from the fire, it was because of Brandon that their family was able to get out of the house, which was completely destroyed by the fire.

The kids were taught how to handle a situation like this from their volunteer work as volunteer firefighters, so they knew what was going on and how to escape a burning house.

Kayla Dahl said, “Everything is gone. We lost my car. Everything inside the house. Brandon saved us. He was wrapped in God’s arms to help protect him and to make sure that our entire family was able to get out.”

The Decatur Fire Department posted on Facebook, “Just before 5:00am today (1/15/2022) Decatur Fire Tanker 115 and Chief 115 responded to a reported structure fire on Woody Street in the City of Alvord. First arriving EMS units reported a fully involved home fire with many other homes threatened. Arriving Decatur fire units plugged in to the established incident command system assisting with fire suppression and structural protection of the surrounding homes.”

The Dahl family thinks that the fire was caused by a gas heater they had in their room. The fire alarm had only gone off after they escaped the house.

The Facebook post added, “Luckily, there were no serious injuries reported. We send out love and prayers to the family and friends impacted by this incident.”

Many prayers are being sent out to the family.